Are you trying to find an attorney for your divorce?
No matter whether you live in Winter Springs, Orlando, or anywhere in the Seminole County area, it is difficult to find a divorce lawyer who you can trust. You want someone who understands when settlement is possible and when litigation is necessary—someone who understands that there is a time to draw a hard-line in the sand and a time you should negotiate. But where do you even begin the search?
John understands that it is difficult to choose a an attorney, and we never want our clients to feel as if they have no choice or insufficient information.
To help our clients with their search, we have put together some tips about how you can find a good family lawyer to help with your divorce. If you have further questions, please contact us.
- Talk to any divorce friends that you have. The best resource that you have is family and friends who have been in the same situation that you find yourself now. Sure, you can trust reviews online (we will talk about that later), but it’s infinitely preferably to talk to someone you know personally. Ask them who they worked with and how their experience was. Was the lawyer accessible? Did they ask a lot of questions? Or were they disconnected, apathetic, and difficult to connect with? These real life anecdotes and reviews can put you on the correct path of finding the right divorce attorney.
- Search online. More and more people are finding attorney services online—more than ever before. In fact, you may have come to this very website through a search engine. These are making the world a smaller place, and are making it easier to connect with quality divorce lawyers near you. Still, it is important to do your research. Just because you found someone by searching for the “best divorce lawyer near me” doesn’t mean that they will live up to the title.
- Talk to other lawyers in the area. If you know of other attorneys in the area—even if they don’t practice family law—you may want to ask if they have any referrals. Some of the best people to give referrals are those who have seen them in action before. Lawyers in the area might be able to point you in the right direction for some other divorce lawyers and law firms who can help you.
How do I choose the right Florida divorce lawyer for me?
Of course, “finding” a divorce lawyer is a lot different from “choosing” one, which is a completely different matter. Now that you have narrowed the list down to a few choices, it is important that you make sure that the divorce attorney is the one for you. This means meeting with them and assessing their strengths, as well as determining whether they are a good personality fit. Remember, you are likely going to have to spend a lot of time with them, so you want to make sure that you’re comfortable talking to them. There are also several things you should figure out before you make your decision:
- How much are they going to cost? Different lawyers have different fee arrangements.
- How do they feel about mediation or collaborative divorce? Some attorneys may heavily promote these more “peaceful” paths to divorce while others prefer adversarial litigation.
- How experienced are they? Some lawyers are straight out of law school, while others have helped divorcing couples for more than 20 years. Depending on your situation, the attorney’s breadth of experience might be a critical factor.
- Are you comfortable with them? Do they talk to you in plain English or in legalese? Every lawyer will have a “personal style”—make sure that you’re comfortable with his or hers.
You can also do your own independent research that includes looking up reviews online or even contacting the state’s bar association to see if the lawyer has been subject to disciplinary action. You should carefully consider the decision about hiring an attorney before signing a retainer agreement.
Find a Divorce Attorney in Orlando, Winter Springs or Seminole County, FL
If you are looking to dissolve your marriage, and need a good divorce attorney, you have come to the right place. Our firm brings experience in many practice areas, and has handled litigation in all phases, ranging from first review, to trial and appeal. With nearly two decades of experience, John M. Iriye is ready to offer his experience to help you successfully resolve all of your family law issues. He is compassionate to the plight of people who are facing the divorce process and will do everything that he can to make the process as seamless as possible. To learn more about how our firm can help in your time of need, please do not hesitate to contact us today. You can also ask for a confidential consultation today by filling out our online form and sending us a direct message.